Junior BGS Girl uses First Aid knowledge to help mother

Junior BGS Girl uses First Aid knowledge to help mother

A good education changes lives, but 10 year old Hanna Rehman recently discovered that it also can save lives. 
 
When Hannah’s mum suffered a severe allergic reaction to medication, the Bury Grammar School pupil remembered what she had learnt in her school First Aid Club. Hannah placed her mum in the recovery position before dialling 999.
 
"I stayed on the phone until the ambulance arrived," said Hannah.
 
"When they had looked at my mum they looked after us and we both had a ride in the ambulance. The ambulance crew told me how brilliant I had been and asked how I knew what to do. I told them I had been in First Aid Club at Bury Grammar School with Mrs Woodhead and learned how to stay calm and follow instructions."
 
Head of Year 6 Kathryn Woodhead said: "I'm so proud of Hanna and the way she used her learning. She has attended my First Aid Club where we have followed the British Red Cross programme for primary school children. The motto the British Red Cross use is 'Life. Live it' and Hanna really has saved a life."
 
Hannah received the Junior Headteacher’s Award for her amazing achievement in helping to save her mum’s life.